Declaring the Pharmaceutical Sciences Major
If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student, you can choose the Pharmaceutical Sciences major on your university application. If you are a current UA student and are interested in switching into the PharmSci major (or adding it as a second major), you may do so by making an appointment with an academic advisor. Any current UA student with a 2.0 cumulative GPA and a 2.0 average in required Pharmaceutical Sciences major courses (including foundation science coursework) is eligible to declare the major.
Achieving Advanced Standing in the Major
Effective Fall 2020, students will be required to achieve Advanced Standing in the Pharmaceutical Sciences major in order to access most junior and senior-level major courses. (This is a replacement of the previous policy in which all students began in the Pre-Pharmaceutical Sciences major and were required to apply for major admission, although the criteria are very similar.) Students will achieve Advanced Standing after fulfilling the following academic requirements:
- Completion of the following science and math courses, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Two semesters of General Chemistry with labs (CHEM 151+152 or equivalent courses)
- Two semesters of Organic Chemistry with labs (CHEM 241A/243A + 241B/243B)
- General Biology with lab (MCB 181/181L)
- Anatomy & Physiology I with lab (PSIO 201) or PSIO 380
- Foundations of Calculus (MATH 113) or higher-level calculus course
- Completion of English Composition requirement (ENGL 101 + 102 OR ENGL 109H).
- Pharmaceutical Sciences major GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Cumulative UArizona GPA of 2.0 or higher
Students who have not achieved Advanced Standing within three academic years may be required to change to a different major. Students should work closely with their major advisor to make sure they are on track to achieve Advanced Standing and to progress in major coursework.