Pharmacy Practice & Science
To reach the department:
Pharmacy Practice and Science
College of Pharmacy
P.O. Box 210202
Tucson AZ 85721
To educate the next generation of leaders in pharmacy and its foundation sciences, and to create and disseminate new knowledge that enhances the health and well-being of the people of Arizona, the nation and beyond.
As a leader in pharmacy education and science, the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science will be comprised of exceptional educators, scholars and practitioners who shape future generations of pharmacy practitioners and scientists. This will be accomplished by:
- recruiting excellent faculty;
- securing external support from federal, foundation and corporate sources;
- developing excellent academic programs that attract students of the highest quality who graduate to become outstanding practitioners, scientists and educators; and
- ensuring optimal pharmacotherapeutic outcomes.
The Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science is dedicated to providing an environment of ingenuity, teamwork, collegiality, diversity and excellence in our educational, service and scholarship activities.
Pharmacy Practice and Science Goals
- Provide high quality professional, graduate and postgraduate education/training in pharmacy practice and related sciences, and engage in the scholarship of teaching.
- Contribute leadership at the local, national and international levels to fulfill the missions and visions of the department, college, university and profession.
- Generate and disseminate knowledge regarding the clinical, economic and humanistic implications of pharmaceutical interventions and innovations.
- Influence decision-making and policy development at the patient, provider, healthcare organization and societal level to achieve optimal health outcomes.
- Improve the health and well-being of patients and populations by facilitating and providing safe and effective medication use, and by identifying, examining and eliminating barriers to optimal medication use.
- Maximize pharmacotherapy by advancing scientific knowledge in the realms of drug development, drug delivery, drug disposition and biological mechanisms (e.g., pharmacogenomics), and by translating these scientific advances to patient care.
- Advance the role of pharmacy and pharmacists in improving public health and enhancing the quality of human life through education and training, clinical preventive services, and community-based health promotion and disease prevention activities.
Faculty in the department will find helpful information from the following:
- Link to UA Personnel Handbook for Faculty
- UA Links to Information about Faculty Career Support, Shared Governance and Standing Committees