During the 2016 Arizona Pharmacy Association Annual Convention held June 10-12, a number of UA COP alumni, faculty and staff were honored for their recent outstanding achievements.
Many of the awards were presented at a convention-wide luncheon by then-Interim Dean John Murphy, who served as master of ceremonies, while a few honors were presented in smaller meetings and panels.
COP alumni and the awards and recognitions they received at the convention were as follows:
- Ann Sears, BS Pharmacy 1989: Pharmacist of the Year Award and AzPA Fellow
- Maryam Fazel, PharmD 2003, assistant professor in the COP Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science: Exemplary Patient Care Award
- Martha Fankhauser, MS Pharmacy 1982: AzPA Fellow
- Ali McBride, PharmD 2007, clinical coordinator hematology/oncology at the UA Cancer Center: AzPA Fellow
Also at the convention, a number of UA COP faculty members led discussions.
- Janet Cooley, the director of experiential education, presented at the Preceptor Workshop: “Promoting Growth Mindsets in Student Pharmacists.”
- Brian Erstad, professor and head of the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science, and David Nix, professor of pharmacy practice and science, presented “Important Principles of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics.”
- Robert Lipsy, an assistant professor of pharmacy practice and science, presented “Evidence-Based Medicine and Clinical Practice Guidelines” and “Advances in Pharmacotherapy 2016.”
The following people with ties to the COP were installed on the AzPA Board of Directors at the convention:
- Keith Boesen, alumnus and director of the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center: president elect
- Jessica DiLeo, alumna and medication management specialist: secretary
A list of award winners and speakers can be found on AzPA’s website.
Photo: Maryam Fazel with her Exemplary Patient Care Award