(Also refer to the general goals and objectives for PhPr 803)
The rotation, which takes place at the Arizona Poison Information Center, will introduce the student to the operation of a poison information service and provide opportunities for the student to develop the knowledge base and skills in clinical toxicology.
The student, on this six-week rotation experience, will be expected to:
1. To learn about the various administrative aspects of poison center operation including:
- Organizational structure
- Policy and procedure development, implementation, and revision
- Accreditation criteria
- Staff proficiency criteria
- Quality assurance
2. To observe and participate in the administration of commonly employed systemic and external decontamination procedures for poisonings and other first aid measures in the emergency room setting.
3. To develop proficiency in the use of all reference materials commonly used by PCC staff including computerized information sources.
4. To become familiar with the legal and ethical aspects of PCC operation; i.e., PCC consultant and staff liabilities and legal obligations in the provision of poison and drug information to health professionals and the lay public.
5. To examine the literature supporting current guidelines for the treatment of commonly occurring poisonings and toxic exposures; e.g., iron, TCAs, acetaminophen, aspirin, NSAIDs, alcohols, narcotics, venomous bites and stings, etc.
6. To participate in toxicology rounds/conferences and the toxicology consult service.
7. Under supervision of a poison information specialist, respond to actual poison information and treatment referral assistance.
8. Under supervision, formulate assessment of cases and recommendations for treatment of poisoning and toxic exposure cases.
9. Conduct follow-up calls, reporting of findings, documentation of outcomes in cases of poisonings, and toxic exposures.
10. Participate in and contribute to didactic efforts (i.e., clinical toxicology rounds, case reviews, conferences, etc.) during the course of this clerkship.