More about Required Courses

students standing around College of Pharmacy sign

Standard iconBelow is more information about meeting requirements for admission to the PharmD program. This information applies to applicants using the Standard application path. Please review carefully.

  • Applicants entering the college in the fall must have all specific academic prepharmacy requirements (link is external) completed by June 1 (exceptions can be made for quarter-system schools).
  • Students are not eligible to begin the professional (PharmD) curriculum without successfully completing all prepharmacy requirements with a "C" grade or better. A candidate's cumulative GPA must be a 3.0 or higher. A candidate must also have a 3.0 science (40 units required) GPA to apply.
  • Please note, the Admissions Committee accepts only B grades or higher for organic chemistry and anatomy and physiology lectures.
  • All science prerequisites must be completed by the end of the last spring semester/quarter before entering the College of Pharmacy.
  • Upper division chemistry and biology courses may be accepted to meet general chemistry and biology requirements with admissions staff approval.
  • All sciences required for admission must be taken with a corresponding lab.
  • It is strongly recommended you take sciences and labs in a classroom to prepare for the rigors of pharmacy school. Online science courses are accepted, however.
  • Although international students may apply, coursework required for admission to the college must be completed at an accredited college or university in the United States.
  • Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) International Baccalaureate (IB) , or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) for college credit in science coursework will not be accepted to meet prepharmacy requirements.
  • Pass/no-pass credit will not be accepted for prepharmacy courses.
  • Applicants must be in good standing at the University of Arizona or be eligible for matriculation to the university INCLUDING two semesters of English composition. If you have an undergraduate degree from another school and have NOT completed two semesters of English composition, you MUST have your English coursework approved by the English Composition Department at the University of Arizona. You may e-mail (link sends e-mail) for further details.
  • Traditions and Cultures courses, or TRADS, (link is external) as they are known at UA, are humanities (humanities, anthropology, philosophy, history, religious studies).
  • Individuals and Societies courses, or INDVs (link is external), as they are known at UA, are social and behavioral sciences (political science, psychology, communication, sociology, gender or ethnic studies).
  • Music, art, dance, theater, photography or the study of any literary form is considered a Fine Arts or Literature class. Any Tier 2 Arts course (link is external) offered at the University of Arizona will meet this requirement.
  • A second language is not required, but you may take two semesters of a language to meet one social science (INDV) requirement, or test higher into a language (ex. 102, 201) and take one semester of a language. Language courses alone cannot meet two social science (INDV) requirements.


Please contact the admissions office (link sends e-mail) for any further questions on course work, 520-626-4311.



Originally posted: August 25, 2014
Last updated: December 15, 2017
Want to update? Contact Webmaster
Share This