As a 1953 COP graduate, Jack Cole went on to dedicate more than 60 years to the College and the practice of pharmacy. Jack held a host of important positions and is now officially retired.
Jack R. Cole has a long and prestigious history as the ultimate scholar, leader, and mentor to many. We honor Jack for his many accomplishments and contributions, some of which are highlighted here:
- Jack R. Cole, PhD, is dean emeritus and professor of pharmaceutical sciences in the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science. He received his bachelor of science in pharmacy degree from the University of Arizona in 1953 and his doctor of philosophy in medicinal chemistry from the University of Minnesota in 1957, at which time he joined the University of Arizona faculty.
- He was the first alumnus to be appointed dean, serving from 1977 to 1990.
- Dr. Cole campaigned heavily for a new pharmacy building to be located at the Arizona Health Sciences Center. His efforts quickly paid off and in 1979, construction began on the building the college still occupies today. The project succeeded due in large part to Dr. Cole's efforts to secure a $1 million grant from the Skaggs Companies, Inc. At the time it was the largest single corporate gift ever received by the university.
- Research efforts at the college also grew substantially under Dr. Cole's leadership. In 1979, more than $1 million in federal research grants were acquired by the faculty, as compared to $250,000 received during 1978.
- In 1981, Dr. Cole achieved another major accomplishment when the Arizona Board of Regents approved the doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) program as an option for pharmacy students.
- In August 1987, he was appointed acting vice provost for the University of Arizona. Dr. Cole returned to his position as dean of the College of Pharmacy after serving one year as acting vice provost. On January 1, 1989, he became acting provost and senior vice president for academic affairs for the university at the request of President Henry Koffler. Dr. Cole served as senior vice president for academic affairs and provost from 1990 to 1992.
- The Jack R. Cole, Ph.D. Distinguished Alumnus Award was established at the College of Pharmacy in 1992. This award has since honored a host of COP alumni that have followed in his footsteps providing leadership to the profession and the community.
- In 1992 his leadership skills took him to Washington when he joined the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy as the director of graduate education, research and scholarship. He served until 1994, at which time he returned to the university.
To share a memory or note of thanks to Jack Cole, click here.
If you wish, you may join the College of Pharmacy in commemorating Dr. Jack R. Cole’s lifetime of achievement and dedication with a donation.
- Dr. Cole was instrumental in raising the funds for the original construction of the Skaggs Pharmaceutical Sciences Center. The College is starting a campaign to expand the Skaggs Pharmaceutical Sciences Center and increase drug discovery research and training space. (https://www.uafoundation.org/netcommunity/sslpage.aspx?pid=344 (link is external); click on designation “Skaggs Campaign”.)
- Jack R. Cole, PhD, Scholarship fund in support of doctor of pharmacy students. (https://www.uafoundation.org/netcommunity/sslpage.aspx?pid=344 (link is external); click on designation “Jack R. Cole Scholarship”.)